Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Keeping things Clean and Chemical Free


































This wonderfully educational photo came from : 

The Glamorganic Goddess

Hi friends!  I know we all want to keep it so fresh and so clean clean, but we do not need many of the chemicals our bath products fill our bodies with.  After many years of experimentation, I've gotten my beauty routine down and pretty much chemical free.   I am still working on finding good, chemical free make up, but I promise, when I do, it will be on this blog immediately.  If any readers have some suggestions for me to review and try, I'm so in!!!!

Step 1
Replace your face and body lotion with Almond or Coconut Oil

Step 2
Instead of wearing perfume, dab your favorite essential oils behind those pretty little ears of yours or find a natural perfume at your local health food store

Step 3 
Ditch shampoo. Sounds gross, but I don't use shampoo- I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 8oz of water, fill up an old shampoo bottle with it and put the rinse on your hair.

Step 4
Ditch conditioner- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 8oz of water- yes, this smells, but it rinses out of your hair without leaving the smell.  Coconut water also makes an insanely good conditioner.  You can even leave it on overnight for extra luxuriousness. 

Step 5
Hit up the health food store for an organic, natural soap.  If you cannot recognize or pronounce the ingredients, don't buy it.

For the seriously brave
Ditch deodorant, use natural, or make your own.  I use this recipe from The Raw Divas website:
http://www.terawarner.com/blog/2011/01/how-to-make-your-own-natural-deodorant/

Hope this helps you guys keep it pretty while ditching the chemicals going into those gorgeous, sexy bodies of yours!!!
xoxo
J


2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on toothpaste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of fresh breath and toothpaste. I have noticed since doing a high raw diet that my breath is fresher. I use Tom's of Maine or Jason brand toothpaste- I try to go fluoride free. I also use Dr. Bronner's soap as toothpaste. It tastes like shit, but is good with getting things really, really clean. Then I follow it up with something minty or cinnamony ;0) Firm believer in flossing and tongue scraping too. Hope that helps ;0)xoxo J

    ReplyDelete