Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Always Pack a Snack

My children have taught me the most important lesson:  ALWAYS PACK A SNACK. 

This life lesson really boils down to being prepared.  If you are following a raw vegan lifestyle or Paleo, like many of my readers, you probably have already experienced a moment where you indulged in a food you did not intend on eating because you starving and you were not prepared.  Very few people are familiar with all of the ins and outs that these diets require.  So going to a barbeque, birthday party, or even out to dinner, can be a challenge. 

I am going to share my favorite tricks that I have found so far to maintaining an uncommon dietary lifestyle:

1. Pack that snack: 

Next to the smelly gym gloves in my purse, there is always a larabar, an apple, a banana (is that a banana in your purse, or are you just happy to see me), a bag of nuts (is that a bag of nuts in your purse or are you just happy to see me) or some sort of dehydrated raw packaged snack.  For my Paleo Peeps, a Steve's Club Paleo bar would work.

http://stevesoriginal.com/

2.  Bring Something

When you go to a party, bring your favorite dish to share.  I usually bring something simple, like a delicious fruit salad or a regular salad with decadent ingredients like dried cranberries, walnuts, and apples or avocados that make people forget the health factor and go straight to the YUM factor.


3.  Eat Before You Go

I do NOT always feel like spending my whole party in front of or obsessing about food.  One of my favorite strategies is to eat before I go to the party and then enjoy the company of others without worrying about shit stuck in my teeth or if I just accidentally ingested something I did not want to eat. 

4.  Find a Restaurant

With both Paleo and Raw, there is a sucky I can't go out to eat anymore element.  So not true.  My husband and kids are not vegan or Paleo, but we all love Iron Hill Brewery.  They have a gluten free menu.  There are two dishes that I have tweaked to remove the dairy and VOILA, they are vegan and high raw.  The Paleo options on the gluten free menu are abundant.  Burgers without rolls- just hold the cheese- and served with side salads, salads, fish.  My other two favorites are Raw Can Roll Cafe in Douglasville, PA and Oasis Living Cuisine in Frasier, PA. 

I hope that helps!  With any lifestyle, it is important to be balanced and maintain a relaxed attitude.  It is going to happen- a vegetarian accidentally eats a soup made with chicken broth, you may have to scrape breading off a chicken breast, or eat a non-raw hummus in order to enjoy dinner out with your family.  Just go with it.  Life is about having fun.  Our lifestyles should enhance our lives, not make them miserable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment