Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

emotional detox

I am officially in detox mode.

I am moody, nasty, cranky, and sarcastic.  Not my best self.  Luckily Nate bailed on me tonight and headed to see our friend's band so my shit mood does not permeate his being. Hopefully it doesn't affect you, my lovely blog readers. 

Detox can happen in many ways.  Emotional release as part of detox is something people (including myself) often forget about or do not associate with dietary changes.  As resolutions are underway and we shift away from the Christmas cookies and onto salads, we need to remember that physical discomfort often manifests itself in our emotions.

For me, emotional detox feels like pent up rage.  It is not pretty.  I feel yucky and depressed.  I feel fat.  I feel ugly.  And that stupid ass zit forming on the tip of my nose is not helping (a rude reminder of all of those tortilla chips and peanut butter snack attacks that my body is purging).  I doubt everything I am doing, from the clothes I am wearing to the life path I have chosen.  It feels like everything is wrong.

Sometimes this discomfort is fear- fear of our own greatness, fear of failure, fear of being out of your comfort zone, fear of change.  I am experiencing all of the above. 

I think emotional symptoms are WAY worse than physical symptoms.  Feeling emotionally unbalanced sucks and I certainly don't like to ooze my misery onto other people. So a word of advice, when you begin a new diet or lifestyle, give your friends/families/partners a heads up.  Use my favorite break up line, "It's not you, it's me" and get your detox on.  In a couple of weeks the emotional fog will clear (and so will that fucking zit) and you will be feeling like yourself, only 1,000x better.   It is worth it, you are worth it, and remember, NO LIMITS.  That's our 2012 mantra bitches!!!

xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment