Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Friday, January 7, 2011

To have b.o. or not to have b.o.? Is it worth the health risks?

Okay.  I am a huger.  I like to give hugs.  I like to snuggle with my family and the occasional close friend.  So here's the deal.  Every bath item I use I should be able to put in my mouth or eat.  That is the rule of thumb with toiletries.  To be at ultimate health, you should be able to consume any product you use with no ill effects.

Here is the main issue for me:  Deodorant.

I have wasted so much money on natural deodorants that do not work.   I know the health risks linked to regular deodorants but I cannot seem to let go of the body odor issue!  Over the summer I went on a deodorant and shampoo hiatus.  Not a showering hiatus, but I used lemon and lime juice to wash my hair and for soap/deodorant.  I used Dr. Bronner's soap to wash and brush my teeth.   It worked pretty well and no one noticed.  I kept my husband, my sister, and one of my best girlfriends on the detective job.  They had to let me know if they noticed the greasies, stinkies, etc. What a bunch of troopers, they smelled my breath and even my arm pits mid day!!!  I went through the entire summer like this.  It was fine.  I did not look or smell like a dirty hippie who lived in a commune for 6 months.  The only thing that I did experience was slight b.o. after long, hot days or after/during a good work out. 


My quest is to find a natural deodorant that works, mainly for the gym.  I do not want to lift my arm and have someone pass out and have a barbell drop on them and kill them.  I have searched blogs and talked to my hero Becky who works at the local whole foods store.  Upon internet/Becky recommendation, I have selected Aubrey Organics brand.  Two kinds, a roll on (that smells amazing) and a spray.  Last night I used the roll on after my shower and am surprisingly fresh today.  I don't smell like the deodorant, but I don't smelly yucky either.  I will keep you guys posted throughout the week on how its going. 

Here is my list of things in my bathroom

Shampoo and Conditioner:  right now I'm using Burt's Bees because I'm color treating- when I don't color my hair I use Dr. Bronners or just lemon/lime juice
Soap- Dr. Bronners or my favorite scented bar soaps by Pacifica.  They smell so amazing!
Lotion- straight coconut oil for face and body
Toothpaste- Dr. Bronner's Peppermint or Jason Powersmile (I switch tootpastes a lot.  I have also used Tom's of Maine- fennel, and tons of other brands) 

Now some of these things, I admit, I wouldn't eat, but I do the best I can ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment