Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's the little things

As most of you have gathered, I am pretty health conscious.  It wasn't always this way.  Many of you have witnessed my man sized appetite (that hasn't changed) and my amazing ability to make a large plate of nachos my bitch.  Those days started to change when I met my husband- who at the time was far more health conscious than I was.  He taught me some of the foundations of health:
1. white flour is bad for you (who knew???)
2. nutrisweet is horrible and if it didn't come from nature, it shouldn't be consumed (but it says DIET coke!!!)
3. smoking is not the best idea for someone who is a college athlete (I could still run 3 miles and smoke a pack a day, take THAT!)

But despite my resistance, love makes you do stupid things and thankfully I made lots and lots of changes.  In fact, the old hubster really created a monster.

So this morning, as I'm making my green smoothie, I walk over to the couch to sit with the girls.  Then my morning miracle happened:  "MOMMY!!!  I WANT SOME!!!!"  And before I knew it, 24 oz. of kale, pineapple, bananas, and cherries disappeared faster than the old school plate of nachos.

It's these little things that make me happy.  My girls won't grow up thinking that diet yogurt, pretzels, and soda are nutritious.  They know what healthy food is and that it is palatable.  They can recognize that when they eat unhealthy food, they feel like crap.  So at ages 3 and 5, those chicks know WAY more about nutrition than I did at 21 (you mean deep fried is BAD for you?????  WHAT????  But a cheese steak has meat, cheese, and bread!  Those are food groups!!!  BBQ sauce is made from tomatoes!)

Green Smoothie Recipe:
2 bananas
1/2 cup pineapple
1/2 cup frozen cherries
4 kale leaves
8 oz water
and blend blend blend 

No comments:

Post a Comment