Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Some Easy Peasy Raw Food Options

Sometimes adding more raw foods to your diet can seem daunting.  Transitioning to a raw and/or vegan lifestyle takes a lot of brain power.  Not only do you have to think about every ingredient in every food item you put in your mouth, but you have to start hunting for recipes and trying all kinds of new meal plans. 

It doesn't have to be super complicated.  I think the worst thing you can do is buy a complicated raw cookbook, start gathering obscure ingredients, and purchase kitchen appliances that you might only use every once in awhile.  I say this from experience. 

So as requested by many of you, here are some quick and easy ways to start making your diet super fantastically amazingly nutrient rich!


Breakfast-

Jane's morning coffee-
juice from 1 lemon
warm water
2 packets of Sweet Leaf Stevia (Sweet Leaf is doesn't have additives in it (specifically Erythritol that causes digestive difficulties)
2 cubes of frozen wheat grass juice (you bet your ass I buy this pre-made at the store.  I do NOT have the time, energy or desire to juice and grow my own wheat grass)

Green Smoothies are usually my morning breakfast.  I cannot talk enough about the glorious benefits of green smoothies, I will repeat:  Great way to get a days worth of fruits and veggies in one meal.  Blending them breaks down the plant cellulose making the nutrients WAY more digestible and makes nutrients easier to absorb.

Molly's Peanut Butter Cookie Cereal-
1/2 Cup of Buckwheat Groats (you can buy these at Kimberton in Downingtown, I buy the Oasis Living Cuisine Buckwheaties)
1 tablespoon of Raw Almond Butter (use any nut butter you have lying around)
1 teaspoon of Raw honey (you could also use maple syrup or agave to make it vegan)

There are even raw cereals on the market you can buy that you do not have to make yourself.  I love Super Foods Cereals (in the Organic isle at Wegmans) and so do my kids.  They are expensive, but baby, you are worth it!!!!  Add a little almond milk or coconut milk and BOOM, easy as Cheerios. 

For your mid meal snack, substitute your granola bar with a Larabar,  raw nuts and seeds, or a piece of fruit.  There!  You did it!  You had a raw morning!

I will try to add a recipe idea with every blog.  Happy, healthy, and sustainable eating my loves!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment