Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm a sensitive lady

Last night I was at my friend's birthday BBQ.  This is an event I really look forward to and so does the rest of my family.  My lovely friend Julia was very concerned about what I could eat and she and her sister so very sweetly came up with the most delicious watermelon salad.  Watermelon, lime juice, arugala, red onion, mint, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.  I killed the entire bowl it was so delicious.  That is when I should have known.  If it was too delicious to be true, I probably can't eat it. 

No sooner had I put my bowl in the sink than my migraine aura started.  I was very, very confused.  I DIDN'T EAT ANYTHING WRONG!!!!  So on the long ride home from NJ I thought about it in between waves of nausea and pain.  Was it the strong onion?  Was it something I ate earlier during the day?  Nope.  I was so confused.  But then it hit me:  I never use balsamic vinegar. 

When I woke up at 4 a.m. migraine free, you bet your sweet ass I hit up the internet to find out about balsamic vinegar.  Apparently, the commercial balsamic vinegar sold in supermarkets is typically made with concentrated grape juice mixed with a strong vinegar, which is laced with caramel and sugar.  Who knew? 

My body is so sensitive to sugar.  It sucks finding out the hard way, but it is really cool to see how smart my body is when it comes to giving me signals that something is toxic.  Nerd Alert:  Our bodies are so cool!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment