Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Thrill of Competition

So as many of you have noticed, I have been shamelessly begging for my facebook friends to vote for me in a Smoothie Contest for Sunwarrior.  The prize is a good one.  It is a year's supply of Sunwarrior products for first place.  You bet your sweet ass I want that prize. So please vote.  I am competing against vegan chefs with lots of followers and people with really popular blogs, so  your votes are crucial so that I can come close to competing. 

To vote for me, please "like" the Sunwarrior page, go into the Smoothie Contest photo album, and "like" my pictures.  One is of me and my daughters in bathing suits.  It's pretty hard to miss (and is apparently very controversial for the conservative family members of other smoothie contest participants LOL).  The other one is three pictures above it and is of a green coffee cup.

Okay, onto the blog.

I have many, many complicated smoothie recipes, but my goal in this contest was to help people make simple, nutritious smoothies that did not involve ingredients that you have to search for like the Arc of the Covenant to freaking find.  As I learned more and more about raw foods, I started incorporating these bizarre ingredients into my diet and into my pantry.  But for people just starting out, it is best to just keep it simple.  Sunwarrior is a yummy, fabulous product to use.  I order it online at www.sunwarrior.com.  You don't have to be raw to use it either.  Replace one meal with 2 scoops of Sunwarrior and 8oz of coconut water and 4oz regular water and you have a delicious chocolate milk that is simple and healthy.  Substitute that into your life instead of drinking your morning coffee and believe me, you will feel a difference. 

Here is my favorite:
8oz water and a frozen banana or 1 young coconut (water and meat)
1 cup frozen cherries
2 scoops of chocolate Sunwarrior
1 tbspn of raw cacao or cocoa powder
(optional- add 1tspn Maca and 1 tspn greens powder)
Blend, pour, enjoy

So delicious and the chocolate can give you the boost you would normally get from coffee.  Making changes can be simple and can happen one meal at a time.  Thanks for voting for me, supporting me on my health/nutrition journey, and for being my friends!

Love,
J

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jane! Where do you find young coconut? How long have you eaten raw? I have been following your blog for a while. I am interested in possibly trying to go raw and would like more info any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Whitney! Thanks for reading! I buy young coconuts at Wegmans- a local grocery store near me. You can also find them at Wholefoods, locally owned whole food stores, and Asian markets/groceries. I have been transitioning into a raw lifestyle for three years and I'm still not 100% raw and am not sure if I will ever be. Right now I'm at about 70-80% raw and have been maintaining a vegan diet for a month and a half. I'm a big believer in NEVER SAY NEVER because every time I say, "I will never eat meat again! or I will never eat non-raw again!" my rebellious side flies into a tailspin and I do whatever I want. There are so many challenges to this lifestyle, but it gets easier the longer you stick with it and the more you learn. As the years have progressed, I have learned more and more, gotten more great recipes, exchanged coffee for wheatgrass, and have never looked or felt better in my life. If I could give you any recommendations for the transition, it would be to take it slowly. One meal at a time. Be easy on yourself and learn as you go. This is an open place to share imperfections so please feel free to ask any questions or vent any feelings of frustrations in this space. I will never judge you or make you feel inadequate or tell you what to do. I promise ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you drink the smoothies are you using them as a meal replacement? If so does it keep you full?

    ReplyDelete