Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

80-10-10 Update

I've been following the 80-10-10 diet for the past seven days.  I'm pleasantly surprised with the results.  I feel really good, have more energy for my workouts (even putting in 2 a days), and am feeling full.  I had to force myself to take a rest day today.  By refining my eating habits even more, I managed to push through some meat cravings and come out on the other side (for now). 

There have been a couple of days where I've added a bit more fat or a bit more protein than recommended because I am still pretty new to these protein/fat/carb ratios.  I am feeling things out and figuring out the amounts- like about how much fat is 10% and that a little bit goes a long way.  I didn't realize just how much fat I had been eating!  Wowzers.  Holy avocado, nuts, and seeds bitches!

In terms of digestion, I'm feeling much, much better.  I am getting more than enough to eat.  Experts on this way of eating encourage you to count calories- only to make sure you are eating enough- and bunk the idea of overeating.  This idea really hit me.  As someone who has been known to overeat on occasion (daily), I really respond well to this idea of inclusion as opposed to exclusion.  A lot of my overeating behaviors revolve around rebellion.  It sucks to try to limit calories and count this and that. I just get a case of the fuck its and eat a whole pint of coconut milk ice cream.  It isn't that I need to eat an entire pint to feel full or satisfied or like I had a treat, but I like to give diets a big eF you to keep the balance of power in check. 

I'm pretty happy with my weight right now, but I wouldn't cry if I dropped 5 pounds either.  Before trying 80-10-10, I have been able to maintain my weight and muscle mass, but I haven't been dropping pounds or body fat.  Over the past 7 days, I've lost 2 pounds pretty effortlessly and even lost a little body fat.  By effortlessly, I mean eating upwards of 7 bananas (I love bananas!) in a day and my calories are up around 2,300. Before, trying to lose weight (even on high raw vegan)  meant a lot of restriction (1500 calories a day and lots of work outs).  It is such a difference going to the cronometer and seeing that I still have 1,000 calories alloted for the day! 

I'm still a little concerned about variety and maintaining my energy levels/muscle mass long term, but so far 80-10-10 is working out pretty well.   On to week 2!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment