Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

You work out too much

Recently, I've had a couple of people offer the opinion that I work out too much. One was my mother, so I decided I would think about it a little bit.  At first I was a little offended by these accusations but I'm a big fan of listening and learning so I started to do a little self-evaluating.  Do I work out too much?  Are other aspects of my life suffering because of how much I work out?  Am I neglecting my children?  Are my grades slipping?  Nope.  I'm keeping it together pretty darn well.  I'm kicking ass in school, my kids are happy and healthy, I have a bitchin' social life, the house is clean, I'm rarely sick...hmmm...what's the problem here????

I usually work out for an hour almost every day.  Some days, I work out for two to three hours (like on a Saturday or Sunday) and some days I don't get there at all.  The CDC recommends doing 2.5 hours per week of cardiovascular training and 2 or more hours of weight training per week- MINIMUM.  Many physicians recommend 60 minutes per day of physical activity for adults and children. Okay.  I'm in that range of healthy activity level.

I wonder how many people would complain if I spent 1 hour a day watching television, reading, or participating in another hobby?  What is it about my exercise routine that some find so offensive?  I'm not exactly sure.  I find my work outs to be a stress reliever.  It allows me to spend time with people who I love dearly and care about.  When I get in a good work out, I am more alert and am more present with my patients.  I have more patience with my children.  Working out is not a life drainer, it's a life saver! 

Imagine if everyone took one hour out of the day to spend working on themselves physically- in whatever capacity- crossfit, yoga, running, hiking, walking, zumba.  I just don't see that as a bad thing.  Our physical health should be one of our top priorities.  For me, it is a huge part of maintaining my sanity in a very crazy life.  It isn't selfish and honestly, I find it to be selfish NOT to take that time out of your day to be healthy for yourself and for the people around you. 

So please, go exercise!  I will never judge you for it ;0)  
xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment