Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bulletproof Coffee Inspired Smoothie

A lot of my friends have been drinking bullet proof coffee. Bullet proof coffee is black coffee with either coconut oil or grass fed butter melted into it.  When I first heard of this, I wanted to vomit- mainly thinking about putting butter in coffee, but the people who drink it swear by it.

I'm not a coffee drinker (because I it gives me headaches and I act like a squirrel on cocaine when I drink it), but I love the flavor.  I also think it's a great idea to start your day off with a good fat.  So I came up with this smoothie recipe that gives you the yum of the bullet proof coffee but with some carbs and protein for those of us who eat breakfast and hit early morning work outs. 

4oz Coconut Water
4oz Water
3-4 ice cubes
1 tbsp coconut oil or grass fed butter
1 banana
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1 tsp coffee extract
Blend your ass off

I'm sure you can pour 8oz of coffee into the smoothie instead of the coconut water and water and skip the coffee extract.  I bet that would make it taste like iced coffee too.  You can also skip the banana if that makes the smoothie to heavy, you don't like bananas, or are watching carbs.  I top mine off with a few raw cacao nibs.  Nibs are delicious little devils.  They are pieces of the cacao beans that would eventually be ground into cocoa powder.  I love these bitches.  Chocolate makes life a little more amazing.

Have a bullet proof day!!!
xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment