Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Paleo Pumpkin Spice PROTEIN latte. Whassup!?!

I turned my new favorite Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe into a protein latte.  You knew I would find a way to health up that bad boy even more!

The original recipe had honey.  I made my first one with the honey and it was delicious, but that is entirely too much sugar for me, so I tweaked it.  Here's what I came up with:

Jane's Protein Pumpkin Spice Latte
Step 1 (we can have lots of fun)
Brew 2 cups of your favorite coffee- I use a hazelnut decaf

Step 2 (there's so much we can do)
While that is brewing, add these ingredients to a sauce pan on your stove top over low to medium heat:

1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk
and wisk in 2 tablespoons of Pumpkin Puree (the stuff in a can)

Step 3 (it's just you and me)
Take it off the heat after the puree is wisked in.  The milk will turn a nice light orange shade.  Very sexy. 

Step 4 (I can give you more)
Now here is when I got experimental.  I added 1 scoop of vanilla egg white protein powder after I took it off the heat.  I use a brand called Vicol in the Ice Cream Vanilla Flavor.  You could use whatever you have on hand.  If you're feeling really brave, and you have chocolate powder on hand, give it a whirl and let me know what you think.   

Wisk your protein powder into your coconut milk and pumpkin.  It might be a little lumpy, but that mellows out.  Then add the coffee into your saucepan and give it another wisk. 

Step 5 (don't you know that the time has arrived!!!)
You can add a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg for some additional fall shits and giggles.

Fun Fact Time BITCHES!!!!
Nutmeg is used in homeopathy to ease depression and anxiety.  No wonder so much of it comes out this time of year- I guess it keeps us from getting too nutty- get it????  Nutty...Nutmeg...

p.s. did you love my NKOTB reference?  

No comments:

Post a Comment