Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

I crossfit, my spouse doesn't

Crossfit has become a huge part of my life over the past two years and for the past two years I have been sporadically offering my husband to join me.  It's not his thing.  He's okay with that.  So why aren't I?

Well, after a lot of introspection, I am finally starting to understand why and hopefully some of you other 1/2 couples can relate. 

1)  I'm a show off.  When I was in college, my husband came to a lot of my tennis matches.  I could show off my athletic skillzzzz in front of him.  If I invited my husband to watch a WOD, I would feel like the biggest tool bag on the planet. 

2) I like to share.  Even though he wasn't participating in tennis, we could share it.  We could talk about the match, we could analyze my game, and he knew my teammates.

3) Curiosity.  I know he's strong and he has a mental strength that I know would just kill it in these kinds of work outs.  I want to see what he can do!

4) The power couples.  All of the boxes have them.  Those amazing couples that just straight up kick ass together.  It is so fun to see them do the work outs together and accomplish things as a team.  I believe just like what we learn about ourselves during the workouts, we learn about our partners.  I'm sure the bond that happens while doing a partner work out with your spouse or seeing them persevere when something is really hard translates into your life as a couple.

5) I'm also wondering if my husband seeing what I can do would make my accomplishments seem more real to me. This is connected with my own disbelief of the things I am doing when I am at the gym.  Sometimes I can barely believe myself when I say out loud what I did in my work outs that day.  I NEVER thought I would do the things I am doing, so I guess it will be ultimate reality when I have him to witness.   

6) And sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if I could totally kick his ass ;0)

xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment