Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Challenge

So I am wondering about your reactions to the challenge.

A lot of you checked in with me on not weighing yourselves.  One of my fabulous friends turned her head at the doctor's office and told the nurse she was not allowed to tell her the number.  That is serious commitment to loving yourself!!!!!  I wonder what it was like over the past two weeks to not know the number on the scale.  Were you anxious?  Were you liberated?  Were you scared?  

One conversation I had with a woman had to do with feeling so anxious about her weight that she checked the scale multiple times throughout the day.  She isn't alone.  Many women, including myself, have engaged in this type of behavior.  So do not feel like a failure if you stepped on the scale.  You won if you reduced those numbers in any way, shape, or form.  

My next challenge has to do with fat talk.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, fat talk is basically when we talk shit on our own bodies to other women.  It looks like this:

"Ew.  My fucking thighs!"  
"No, stop.  Mine are the worst!"
"Stop, at least you don't have a gut!"
and it goes on.

Not only does this turn us into objects, but we bond over it!  How fucked up is that????  We bond over berating ourselves.  I hope that shocks you in the same way it shocks me.  

So, the next part of the challenge:  NO FUCKING FAT TALK.  And if you hear someone engaging in it, find a kind way to address it and make it stop.  

If you are feeling insecure about your body, that's okay.  We all have those days.  But watch how you verbalize your feelings.  There is a big difference between, 

"I hate my body, I am a gross fucking slob."  and "Man, I'm not feeling like myself today.  Can someone tell me how hot I am really quickly."  

There is no shame in asking for a build up from a friend.  Talk to yourself like you would talk to a friend.  Would you ever call your friend a "fat fucking slob?"  My guess is no or you are a complete asshole and we need to issue another type of challenge.  

So get out there, stop objectifying yourself, and stop comparing yourself to other people's bodies.  Remember, you are amazingly, fabulously unique and I love the fuck out of each and every one of you.
xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment