Welcome to Optimal Health Mama

Thanks for cruising by and becoming part of my personal revolution of self-love, health, and hilarity!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Utilizing Green Smoothies in preparation for Green Beers

Good Morning Sunshines!!!!  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you!!!

I love a celebration and I love to go out and toast the town!  Nate's band is playing tonight and I plan on having a couple of cocktails and a night that resembles that new Avril Lavigne song.  Sometimes a mom has  to do what a mom has to do.  The next few days are going to be chock full of shows and my signature drink: vodka and seltzers with lime (not raw, but at least it's vegan!).    So I have to prepare. 

One of the best ways to get your body primed for a night on the town, especially if it involves drinks, involves three words:  hydration, nutrients, and hydration.  The best way to hydrate is obviously water, but fruits and veggies are a great way to get hydration and nutrients in one powerful punch.  So here is how I prepare:

I start my morning with a 32 oz green smoothie.  Today I did 2 bananas, 1 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 cup water and spinach. 

Hydrating throughout the day is also really important.  I plan on drinking 3-4 drinks tonight.  My drinks consist of about 1oz of vodka/drink.  So I tack on another 10 oz of water to my normal 65-70 oz to make up for the dehydrating effects of booze.  Drinking water in between your drinks is a great way to 1. pace yourself and 2. prevent one of those bitching headaches you get from dehydration. If you are drinking beers, for every ounce of beer, you need to replace it with one ounce of water.  You will be Chumbawumbaing (pissing the night away, get it?) but you will thank me when you aren't hung over.  So- 12oz of beer=12 oz of H20. 

Also, make sure to eat.  Don't ever drink on an empty stomach.  You are just asking to act like a complete slut/gigolo asshole if you don't eat. Oh yeah, and be ready to finish your antics with a powerful puke session, not a powerful make out session.

A great hangover cure is coconut water.  Coconut water is starting to become the hot new trend so now it is becoming readily available at whole food stores and grocers in cans or juice boxes.  It is full of electrolytes and is a fantastic way to hydrate.  It's natures gatorade (minus the shitty high fructose corn syrup). In third world countries and during World War II if they ran out of blood to do transfusions, they used to use coconut water.  Pretty cool huh?   I get mine directly from a young coconut (I have two in my fridge on reserve for this weekend).   I have seen young coconuts at Wegmans, Kimberton Whole Foods, and the Asian Grocer in Marchwood Shopping Center. 

 Okay!  So hydrate, eat, and enjoy!  I hope everyone has a blast tonight!  Remember to behave responsibly and do not risk the lives of others by getting behind the wheel if you have been drinking.  Drinking and driving = biggest dickhead move on the planet.  I have my designated driver all lined up and I hope you do too! 

And as always, don't do anything I wouldn't do!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment